Followers

Sunday, August 24, 2014

The Summer of The Flowering Snowball-Along....The Wrap Up

Well, here we are...the end of summer and the end of our Flowery Fun Quilt Along!
Shortly after I began blogging a few years ago, I tested out this traditional curvy block....the Flowering Snowball. But I set it aside for another day and would visit it off and on over the next couple of years. It is one of those blocks I knew I loved, I felt others might love it, too....and it isn't impossible to stitch.
This is my first attempt at a Quilt Along and I have been pleasantly surprised at the number of quilters who have given Flowering Snowball a try! They have been sharing their progress on blogs, on Flickr, and especially on Instagram. If you haven't visited the Instagram page it is #floweringsnowballalong....it is amazing! And, I believe, everyone who was afraid to tackle curves feels so much more confident now! Yay! So I am going to kick this off by sharing my Flowering Snowball...then I hope you will upload your pictures and/or links for your own Flowering Snowball. It doesn't matter if you made one block or an entire quilt! It doesn't even matter if it is finished or still in progress. Let's just have a parade of Flowering Snowballs! {hopefully, I have configured the Linky correctly...yikes}
I love scrappy quilts! I want to feel like I am 10 again and my grandma just covered me up with a handmade quilt. Made from her favorite fabrics and her old re-purposed clothes. So my quilt is, of course, scrappy. With a pink polka dot binding...and hand quilted.
I used black Valdani thread {which I purchased this Spring at Quilt Market...Yay!} to pick stitch. This quilt is pieced with Aurifil 50 wt. cotton thread. And I used a blue stripe oxford cloth for the backing. I love when the stitching makes a lovely pattern on the back. The stitching pattern is easy to see with the simple backing fabric.
And, finally, I finished with a label...
Now it's your turn! Show off all your hard work! You will be able to add your picture until September 2nd. So if you have a blog...you might want to write a post to link up to the picture...or maybe you already have. And, I believe, I have this link set so you can just post your picture if you don't have a blog. I hope I worked this out correctly....I guess we will see. Thank you, everyone, for quilting along! I have so enjoyed seeing all your quilts and reading your comments! xo mary

28 comments:

  1. I adore your scrappy quilt! Live the black stitching, I was just given some valdani and am looking forward to trying it. The label is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your quilt and your hand quilting is absolutely stunning

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilt, just love the pattern and fabric. I love how you stitched it, by hand, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous Mary! What size did your end up?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is glorious! Your work is always beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very pretty. I only wish I could feel its squishy lovely texture through the screen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're all so beautiful. I've never seen a flowering snowball quilt that I did just love. I didn't get to do the quilt along, but i have saved your template and instructions and will do one someday. Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. your quilt looks amazing Mary. Thanks so much for this fun quilt along, I loved making these blocks and I'm sure I'll be making another one of these quilts soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How beautiful your quilt is! I have so enjoyed this whole quilt-along! This will be a definite Q4 finish priority for me!! :) Thanks so much for the fun Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the scrappy look, but I am also tempted to use this design with a pretty fat quarter bundle I bought on impulse a while ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is a beauty and your hand quilting is excellent, still to have a go at these blocks but will get round to it one day I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mary! I love your work and this is one of my favourites! You have picked and matched the prints and colours so perfect! I hand quilt, too and love to see photos of your nicely wrinkled, hand quilted Works! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a fantastic design - I love your black hand quilting especially.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely lovely scrappy quilt. I adore the purple sheep print, so cute!!! And I love your little tag!
    Thanks for sharing!Oh and well done with the hand quilting. I could only aspire to that.
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are all so beautiful and unique! Thanks so much for organizing this. I'm almost finished with my top--111 blocks big! Will post it in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely love yours, right down to the embroidered label! The peeks you showed are what inspired me to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I just absolutely love everything about your quilt. Thanks for the challenge, even if some of us sort of fell off the wagon and may be chasing it for a while...

    ReplyDelete
  18. they are stunning, fantastic challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love everything about your quilt, and the quilting is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful parade of quilts!! You were so great at hosting the QAL. I know I didn't get past the first stage of choosing my fabrics but I still plan to make a FSB, one day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your quilt so much, I admire your choice of fabrics and the black stitches are just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love all the quilts made from this pattern! I actually got my blocks done, but just couldn't get the top together or get linked up in time. Thanks for hosting this fun challenge and making it seem 'easy' to sew these complicated pieces together. I have had so much fun with mine.:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. They are all so darling....makes me wish that I'd had the time to make one, that's for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a lovely quilt. I especially adore the hand-quilting. Thank you for sharing this with us!

    Btw, are you familiar with the Quick Curve Ruler? I think it would be possible to make something very similar to this pattern (minus the corner stones) with a lot less hassle. I'm doing the Metro Rings one right now and it's astonishingly easy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This quilt is just SCRUMPTIOUS!!! I love everything about it!! Great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your finished quilt with beautiful stitching and the label. It has that look of family heirloom. I have been following the progress of quilts all over the blogland. What a treat!

    ReplyDelete