Followers

Monday, September 15, 2014

A Quilt for Miles....

My niece, Mary, welcomed a baby boy into the world last week...
Of course, I knew the due date was closing in, but I thought I might have another week to put together a baby quilt.  But babies have their own time tables and Miles has been in the arms of his  loving family for nearly a week now!


I pieced his name - MILES - using Denyse Schmidt's Proverbial Quilt Pattern.  Like most of Denyse Schmidt's patterns, I have used this one more than once...it's that good!  And makes a fantastic (personalized) quick quilt!
All of the letters for the name are from the same black and white gingham...the background fabric is Essex Yarn Dyed in Steel...with a little text fabric and ticking stitched in.

BUT...for the first time I used wool batting.  This is a Pellon wool batting and I have to tell you....I may never use anything else.  It is absolutely amazing!  This batting quilted like a dream!  I have never felt such a difference!  

    
I quilted with large 3" loops [with Aurifil thread].  Using the seam for the name strip as my bottom edge guide, I placed a piece of masking tape 3 inches above that seam.  My loopy quilting was contained between the seam and the tape.  Always a good idea to contain your loopy-ness ;)  hehe!  The wool made the quilting so much easier!  So fluid and fast!  I finished the quilting in just 3 hours!  Amazing!


I do prefer to hand quilt, but when I machine quilt I like a simple pattern.  So these big loops fill the bill.  Simple, not perfect, but yet add a nice texture...I am kind of smitten.

After I finish a line of quilting, I simple move my tape 3 more inches above the loops of the previous line.  It keeps my loops fairly straight and similar in height.  

      
I used the same black and white gingham for the back of the quilt as well as the binding.
His birth date is fussy cut from a fabulous number fabric from Kokka  [more on where you can find that later ;-) ]


 
 It just wouldn't feel right to call it finished without adding some hand stitching...and a little perle cotton....
so I added some red stitches with Valdani perle cotton to the binding and to the numbers!  
I love the stitching on the binding....yes indeed!

   
And in case you were wondering about washing with the wool batting...it has been washed in cold water with a color catcher thrown in for good measure.  And dried on low.  PERFECT!!!!


 This one will be wrapped up with lots of love!
happy monday!
xo mary

 
 

21 comments:

  1. I had seen this pattern online before but never really payed attention to it...Funny how I never realized it was in fact letters. Your quilt is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the simplicity of this darling baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple, modern and heartfelt. Thanks for the tips on the loop fmq. Love that red stitching on the gingham binding too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful quilt to welcome baby Miles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely and I am sure will be kept for ever

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great baby boy quilt - Sure to be an instant heirloom

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like everything about that quilt! I think I'd like to try out some hand stitching in my next binding...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful fabric and beautiful quilting

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect little quilt. Love the hand quilting on the binding - what a great idea. Did you only catch the front side?

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE this quilt!!! Everything about it is beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing about the binding, I can't wait to try that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great boy quilt! You made it is so cleverly - with his name - and the quilting is inspired. Such a good tip to use tape to confine your quilting. Glad you've tried wool. I've used it three times now, though only Hobbs and Quilter's Dream brands. The smidgen of red in the binding is the perfect finish. Such a nice quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simple but timeless. It is something that he can treasure even as he gets older.

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful, love the simplicity of the quilt and perfect for a little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet, sweet, sweet!! Thanks for all of the wonderful tips. I once did a sampler of quilt battings and handquilted through each...the wool hand quilts like butter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is SUCH a sweet quilt. Well, when you can tell us when that number fabric is available, I'll be sure to order some. I do so love the hand stitching. I always forget to add it to a binding and it is SUCH a fabulous detail!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh this is lovely! The simplicity yet your attention to detail just touches me....Do you hand sew the binding down then go back with the contrasting thread? Just delightful. Sharing on my fb page...

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is just lovely. The simplicity combined with your sweet hand stitching is so perfect. I love your loopy quilting too. Can you share how you did it? Do you loop left to right or in a line towards you?

    ReplyDelete