Followers

Monday, September 22, 2014

Around the World Blog Hop...

Hi!  It's my turn to share a bit about myself on the Around the World Blog Hop!  I was asked to share my story by Jacqueline from Bind Quilts....you can find Jacqueline here....http://bindquilts.blogspot.com.au/
I met Jacqueline through Instagram, and like a few of my other friends she comes from the land down under!
The blog hop is fairly simple....answer a few questions about yourself and nominate a friend or two from near or far to do the same!

So, here we go!
1. What are you working on?
Well, I just finished a quilt for a new baby boy in our family, Miles.  Miles is my youngest niece's first child.  And if she has read the last two posts, then she is already well aware that this quilt will be arriving at her house this week...oops.  

Adapted from Denyse Schmidt's Proverbial Quilt Pattern

There is more information about this quilt a couple of posts back...I will make you work for it...hehe!
I, also, just finished a fun little doll quilt which I will share later.  This is a surprise for someone special, so I don't want to spoil it.

Luckily, these projects are out of the way because I will be doing a little sewing for Quilt Market in October!  Sorry...I can't tell you about that either!  Wow!  I am just full of information!

2.  How does my work differ from others?
Well, I am not sure how it differs, but I think I can best answer that by telling you what I like and where I feel comfortable. Let's begin with the design and the fabric.  I feel very comfortable with traditional designs done with a modern flair.  I know when I look at designs that I am often drawn to curves or circular designs....I like symmetry.  But at the same time I like my quilts to have a "thrown together" look.  I always imagine myself out on the prairie preparing for the winter ahead and using every little scrap of fabric I can find to make a quilt for my children!


Bullseye...traditional block
        
             Cathedral Window....traditional block

   Lark Baubles....me ;)
Not every design I choose involves curves...I have completed quite a few triangle or pyramid quilts...
Like Lark...which was one of the rare occasions I used a single designer's line exclusively....of course, it was the amazing Amy Butler!

 Lark 
If I were asked who I most admire, I would have to say Denyse Schmidt and Gwen Marston. I love their style...it feels so right to me.  Not fussy...just warm, relaxed, perfect in every way.  And Denyse Schmidt not only writes quilt books that make me go back for more, but she is definitely my go-to girl as a fabric designer.

  Courthouse Steps...pattern by Denyse Schmidt


Point Me by Denyse Schmidt
     
I rarely, do a quilt from a single line...I like to mix things up...not too matchy matchy.  Personally, I would throw color theory out the window!  Go with what your heart tells you looks good and works together.  

There is one thing I know for certain about myself, I like happy fabrics!  I like fabrics that are bright and saturated in color.  I love print next to print and color next to color!

Clamshells....me:)
  
That doesn't mean I don't like less flamboyant fabrics...I do. Text prints for instance...brilliant!  The one thing I do grow weary of are fabrics and trends that are formulaic.  Those things that have been done, done, stick a fork in it...done!  I will not cry if I never see another chevron.  There are more than a few trendy prints that have been done way too much...and I never really understood bringing back the 80's.

The last thing I will say about what makes me feel comfortable...  hand quilting.  As many of you know, I love to pick stitch or quilt with perle cotton. There are so many reasons I love to hand quilt.  It is relaxing and makes my mind slow down.  It's not perfect!  I don't care for perfect...I can buy a perfect quilt at Macy's.  Quilts are a reflection of the quilter.  It's a process, from the quilters mind and dreams, to the choosing and editing, stitching the pieces together and making adjustments, to finally the quilting.  The quilting is your signature on the quilt....


   Stashbuster... pattern by Sarah Fielke    
          
Whirligig...pattern by Sarah Fielke

Flowering Vine...pattern by Denyse Schmidt
  
3. Why do I create?
I have to.  Being creative and creating is like breathing.  I just have to do it.  Chances are everyone reading this feels the same way.  Our minds are not still, even at night, because we are dreaming of the next quilt, the next idea to try.  My father was a trained artist...attending art school....worked as an artist for Ohio Art Works and then as a graphic artist for a major aviation company.  I began my college career in Fine Arts and then switched to Elementary Education.  So it has always been a part of my life.     

Log cabin and variations...me:) 
  
4.  How does my creative process work?
 That depends on whether I am following a pattern or playing out my thoughts.  If I am following a pattern, my focus is on the fabrics I choose, the layout, and the quilting.  I enjoy following patterns.  Recently, I have had the opportunity to work on a few projects writing instructions and I found that process very enjoyable.  So following a pattern is just fun!

Made to Measure...pattern by Sarah Fielke

spider web quilt pattern from Material Obsession 2 pattern by Kathy Doughty

Swedish Bloom pattern from Patchwork Please...pattern by Ayumi 
  
Sometimes my creations are a combination of a traditional block and my own interpretation...

my version of Courthouse Steps

Apple Core Block

Flying Geese Block

more Bullseye blocks :)

   
Then, sometimes, its just me and my brain....







 

One thing is for certain...I stood on a lot of chairs!
I have asked a couple of very good friends to join along in this blog hop...you will be able to see their posts next Monday the 29th.

First is a dear bloggy friend from Oz....Susan from PatchworknPlay 
The wonderful thing about blogging and quilting is that you have the opportunity to meet wonderful people in far away places.  I met Susan when I reached out to her for assistance with a pattern.  I knew she had made the same quilt and I needed just a little help to get some instructions squared away.  We became friends.  I can't wait for the day when we meet in real life!

And my second victim friend...hehe...is Rachel from Family Ever After.  Rachel is a friend but not a far away friend.  In fact, Rachel lives just around the corner from me....different neighborhood, but I drive right by her house to go to the grocery!  So I drive right by her house about every other day! hehe! I adore Rachel...she is exactly as she seems on her blog.  She is bright and cheery, a good friend, a wonderful mother....she is like Mary Poppins!

I know you will enjoy learning more about them!  Thanks for visiting!

Cheers!
mary 
       

24 comments:

  1. Ever since I saw one of your quilts at Sew to Speak I've LOVED your hand quilting! I'm too chicken to try but I especially love when you mix hand and machine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful makes and I swear I dream about that Lark quilt, it's one of my all time favourites!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your quilts - they are happy! Is the last quilt with the yellow background and the spokes a published pattern? It is wonderful! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to hand quilt too :)

    I really like those bulls-eye blocks. I liked everything but I am especially drawn to them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE how you put color and fabric together. I can't even begin to do it the way you do it--with such flair! Great post.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sew much beauty! I love hand quilting but am quite slow at it... you inspire me to do more and keep at it. I loved everything you shared especially the Sarah Fielke pattern/quilts. I have a couple of her books and hope to tackle something soon. Enjoyed reading more about you and the process of your creations. Thank you. Janita

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've enjoyed reading about your approach to creativity
    and it's always wonderful to see a parade of your beautiful quilts and projects. I agree with you about chevrons!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a tour of your quilts! I've so enjoyed your "show and tell"! There are things there I didn't know! I now have lots of questions for you! Can you bear it????

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful tour of your work - I especially love the hand quilting !

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much colorful quilty goodness in one place!!! Your work is incredibly beautiful!! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved reading your post, and seeing all your quilts again. You write so well, and it is a pleasure to read what you write about your own creativity.

    I must admit, I had fun noticing all your different socks!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had a really great time reading your blog. You have such an amazing array of quilts and you have incredible talent! Thank you for sharing your journey xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. so good to learn more about you and to see so many lovely quilts together. The block that really caught my attention was the bulls eye, never come across that before and it looks oh so complicated thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful tour of your work, I love !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my heart Mary. To see so much of your work all lined up here has me drooling! I love it all. The bullseye blocks are fabulous and that little plus quilt.......

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too love to hand quilt, and hand applique. Your quilts are so fun and cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved seeing more of your work and learning more about you Mary. I have always admired the handwork you do and the lovely texture it adds to your colorful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful work. I'd love to know how to make those bulls eye blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. you are my hero Mary; i love everything you make!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Mary,
    you make wonderful quilts and know how to photograph them. I really enjoyed your post. Thank you for sharing.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your colour next to colour and print next to print flair, your hand quilting and, of course, your socks in photos!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well your blog is a nice breath of fresh air for me. I love how you put your fabric together. They sing! Off to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for showing all your lovely work - I admire and love it all Mary! Also love the traditional with a twist . Have learnt so much from you and been so inspired by everything you do. So keep on doing it!

    ReplyDelete