Followers

Monday, December 1, 2014

Kitschy Kitchen Stocking....

Last year my niece and her husband bought an old home in Southern Ohio...

She spent the bulk of a year working on updating the house and making it their own.  In a couple of weeks she is hosting an Open House and I can't wait!  I love old homes!  And I know she has made this home something special...hopefully I can remember to take pictures to share :)

When my niece saw that I was working on a little clamshell stocking project, she mentioned that it would be cute to have a clamshell stocking to hang in her kitchen with a few vintage utensils.  

   
Being the World's Best Aunt....I went to work!

I began with a 3.5 inch clamshell template.  Because my template is 3.5 inches, I made a 3.5 inch grid on a piece of Kona Cotton.  Of course, I used a Frixion pen to mark my lines.

    
I love fussy cutting fun kitschy fabrics with my clamshell template!

 
Then I use a dab of Roxanne's Glue Baste-It to secure my clamshells to the foundation fabric...

 
Beginning at the top of the foundation fabric, the clamshells are simply added between the grid lines and every other row is staggered....

 
Notice I cut a little more than an 1/8 inch outside my drawn line for turning under.  And with the Frixion pen I don't need to worry about my drawn lines. The heat from an iron will make the marks disappear.  It's always a good idea to test first, though.

Next using my favorite, Richard Hemming Milliner needles and Aurifil 50 wt thread, I simply appliqued the top curvy part of the clamshell.  You do not need to turn under and applique the scooped out section or the point.  These areas will be covered by the curve of the row below it.  Brilliant!!!!

  
Once my clamshell fabric was complete, I backed it with a piece of cotton batting and  I quilted it using Valdani perle cotton in black.  Then, I simply placed my stocking template on top of the fabric and cut out a stocking shape.  Since this stocking is going to be hanging in a kitchen {and to save time} I only used clamshells on one side.  The other side is a solid piece of food themed fabric. 


 I added a lining in a black buffalo check flannel and a scalloped cuff!  Pom-poms and braided yarn for hanging!

And there you have it!  A kitschy kitchen stocking!


Have fun with all your holiday makes!
xo mary 

23 comments:

  1. So so very cute. Love all the attention given to the little details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so adorable Mary! You have really outdone yourself with this one! I really must try some clamshells- they are perfect for a Christmas stocking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is the coolest stocking I have ever seen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is the coolest stocking ever!! Just adorable! Best aunt indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. well you'll win the best aunt prize this Christmas, its beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful stocking, you will certainly win best aunt this Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So adorable! You come up with the best ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute! She's going to be thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always love a good clam...and this is one top notch clam stocking...she will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's great to see how you made this. The graph makes so much sense to me! Love the wonderful stocking. Very sweet.:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This must be the most adorable stocking ever. You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's one very special stocking, I love it! I bet your niece will too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a great idea for the kitchen, have a lovely visit

    ReplyDelete
  14. OmGolly!! What a fun and fabulous stocking!! Clamshells and pompoms , an awesome combo!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How incredibly clever! This is fantastic and I always love seeing what you are up to!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable! I love your detailed tutorial, too ... someday I may try to do some applique. You make it look simple (looks can be very deceiving, tho.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So happy and fun! You ARE the best aunt. Love the pom poms. Thanks for the tute. I've wondered how a clamshell quilt was made. Happy holiday making to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's amazing! Your work is so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So much fun! BTW, I thought that I was the World's Best Aunt; maybe I need to reconsider.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You really are the worlds greatest aunt ( with the worlds cutest fabric!)!!! If there is ever anAdopt an Aunt day I will be first in line to get you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cute! And I happen to have a few clamshell papers ...

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is a great stocking. My tree skirt is its kin because I have the little soldiers marching on one of the doors to one of the houses. Fun to think of that fabric in other places. I love the reverse-scalloped cuff!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete