Followers

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Improv Workshop.....

When I heard Heather Jones was holding an Improv Workshop in Dayton....I knew I had to go! 

As luck would have it, the workshop fell on my sister's birthday! So I treated her to the workshop! What fun! Spending the day with my sis and sewing! 


The studio space was fabulous! 


I met many amazing quilters....and connected with a few I already knew! 


We worked on several improv blocks....Log Cabin, Coin, and Cross block. I had such sweet and talented table mates and before long our design wall started to bloom! 


Other walls were also blooming! This was Lucinda's wall! Wonderful!


I loved the look of my Log Cabin blocks against this weathered floor...


Our wall! It felt great to be able to take the time to just play with fabrics and ideas. And mostly, to be inspired by the others around me. It felt very good indeed. I need to make a mental note that this sort of creative play is important. It feeds the soul. So take the time for a little fabric play! 

mary xx


10 comments:

  1. Improv has made a recent revival! Debbie over at A Quilter's Table has been at it too! Not for me, I'm afraid... I like order!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds like a perfect day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun :-) Happy birthday to your sister!!

    I just posted a finished quilt - I went with wool batting as you recommended and I used the number fabric from your shop to piece the wedding date of the recipients - totally copying from your baby quilt from a while back :-) I thought you might like to see.... http://pursuingjoy.blogspot.com/2015/05/introducing-ties-that-bind-unique.html thank you again, so much, for sharing your wisdom and expertise!
    Happy stitching ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like a great day and fun too, your blocks look good wonder what you will do with them

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks super fun! I am not very improv by nature, but have played a time or two, just because. And one time it wasn't play, it was a vortex of spinning scraps... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been playing with improv lately and it's so freeing and relaxing to not worry about seam allowances or straight lines. Just sewing fabric however you want. :) Lovely blocks, glad you had fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great time! I love improve play. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all looks like a wonderful day. I'm a huge fan of improv, and creative play. The photo of your blocks on the floorboards is particularly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you to take your sister and explore the improv style. Looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You must have had a wonderful day! I love improv, and your blocks look great!

    ReplyDelete