Followers

Monday, May 14, 2012

Corn and Beans or Ocean Waves.....

I took a deep breath and cut into my Liberty stash....in all honesty, it didn't take that much arm twisting....


For some reason it seems difficult to get the color of this Moda Crossweave correct...it is actually very rich, although it looks rather washed out here.

I feel in love with this pattern in Denyse Schmidt's new book - Modern Quilts Traditional Inspiration.  It is called Ocean Waves.



The solid has two threads running through it.  This orangey red and then a cream {almost yellow} thread.  Hopefully, I will be able to get a decent picture so you can see the depth of this fabric.  It gives a very vintage feel combined with the Liberty.

   
Ocean Waves is very similar to Corn and Beans....a traditional quilt pattern....
here is a description from Popular Patchwork.

Corn and beans were the staple diet of many settlers and pioneers in America. Corn was grown for flour rather than corn on the cob as we eat it today. The beans were a type of French bean that the Americans call a pole bean. They were planted to climb up the corn plants as they were growing. Squash plants were sometimes under planted as well.
One quarter of this block is also known as Northwind.

I love traditional quilt blocks!  And traditional blocks with a modern twist are just scrumptious!!!


There are 96 tiny triangles in each block!


By the way, I think I prefer the name Corn and Beans...although this block seems to be slightly different than the traditional Corn and Beans {more triangles...I think}.

After this one - my cutting mat will be a triangle free zone!


Happy Monday!
mary

16 comments:

  1. I for one am very glad you cut it and shared pics! It is very "scrumptious"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I feel your pain/delight in cutting up the Liberty! But no gain without it and I love your block - also love the book it is from Mary which I just had to buy...of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ocean waves quilts and love love love your choice of fabrics! I hadn't heard of the corn and beans block and so interesting to hear about the real ones, makes me want to try growing beans up my corn in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have certainly done justice to the Liberty by combining it with the Crossweave, Mary! It's a fabulous block! Corn for flour, that'd be polenta for cornbread, wouldn't it? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love those liberty prints and the ocean waves/corn and beans. Fantastic!!!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. i bet you are seeing triangles where ever you look!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this, wonderful color!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great Mary...so many triangles!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are soooo pretty--great meon-ey colors...Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to your little tutorials, I just finished a little triangle pillow! I'll post a picture tomorrow. Thank you so much for your inspiration and instructions. These blocks are beautiful.

    Amanda Rose
    http://sewmuchtosay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's wonderful Amanda! I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great use of your very special fabrics. Love the red orange as a base.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary this is so beautiful! What a talent you are :) Even the thought of all those triangles is giving me cold sweats!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this puts my strip quilt to shame! Lol! This is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved this quilt in Denyse's new book. Yours is so different, so feminine and warm - just beautiful!
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whew! That's a lot of (beautiful!) HSTs!

    ReplyDelete