Followers

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

An Even Easier Arrow....

In a recent post, I shared with you an easier way to create the colorful arrows in Denyse Schmidt's new pattern, Point me....


If you recall, I changed the construction after I had already cut out all those pesky triangles....sooooo.....
here is an even easier way to put those arrows together {make those tiny HST's} if you have not already cut into your fabric.

To begin you will need to cut two strips of fabric.... one white and one patterned fabric....cut each strip 4.25 inches wide by WOF.  Then sub-cut the strips into 4.25 inch squares....


Place the  two squares right sides facing and stitch, using a quarter inch seam allowance, all around the outside of the square....



 Now cut the square once on the diagonal....





Take each half and cut again....


By stitching around the perimeter of the square, you have stitched the long straight edge of the triangle......  

Press open with seams toward the darker fabric....


I have finished the quilt and I am now working on the pillow sham.  I found this method is easier, faster and with better results.  Maybe it is just me, but if you plan on making this quilt - you might want to give this method a try.      

   
After you have your HST's....stitch them together keeping the patterned fabric the upper left side and the solid fabric on the lower right.

     
Because the strips are pieced together on the diagonal, each strip is one square less than the neighboring strip...
And for the pillow a single solid triangle is added to the top of each strip...

   
When stitching the strips together, I have found that the bias actually works in your favor.  You can more easily get those seams{points} to fit together perfectly with a little stretch in your fabric strip....

I hope this helps!!!


Well.....I have a few more strips to put together for this one....so stay tuned....
Happy Tuesday!
mary

37 comments:

  1. This is so helpful. I'm excited to try this very soon. Thank you for sharing!

    Amanda Rose
    http://sewmuchtosay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the perfect application for this HST method, as the the triangles end up on grain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great technique. What size are the HSTs if you use a 4.5" square? I'm just starting to work on a lot of pinwheels and thinking that this would work well for them...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing Mary!! This method is so clever and perfect for a project like this! Love the coffee mug too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips! I will definitely try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much! I am definitely going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this method! Though instead of going around the square, I feed one side of a whole heap of squares through, one after the other, then turn the line around and do the other side, then snip them apart and do the same in the other direction. (does that make any sense??) Saves going around corners. I love, LOVE, the way you've put them together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how this quilt is coming along. Very nice! And thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is brilliant!!! Now I am going to have to make this!! Just finished a quilt today..so i am ready for something ....posted my new one on my site tonight...basic quilt with embroidered pieces..thanks so,for the great method!!Can't wait to,see this done!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have used this method several times for making pinwheels. It is easy, fast and effective! Saw it originally on the Missouri Quilts website where there is a UTube demo.
    Linda on http:/linda-koshka2quilts.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that trick of sewing around the edges. And I really love the combination of fabrics you're using in these triangle quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just a brilliant way to sew triangles! I have only once used them and got into a real pickle and swore never again to try, this has given me hope that i could.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love the look but I don't like the repetitiveness of all those HSTs but this might just be the way forward! Thanks Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  14. thank you....i love your tips to help us novices

    ReplyDelete
  15. I use this method, and am using it on a project that uses charm squares. It is nice and fast with the precuts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your cheerful half square triangles!

    ReplyDelete
  17. And don't your strips just look beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Always such great advice and beautiful pictures here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. you are such a gem. love this method and I will certainly give it a try. Thanks for doing a marvelous post...
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is BRILLIANT! Thanks, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a great idea I'm definatly going to try this

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is brilliant. So glad I found your blog (probably through Pinterest). I will keep my toes and fingers crossed that I remember this method when I finally get down to making a quilt with HST's :-) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is an awesome method. One question ... using the "stitch around the outside" method, you don't really leave space for a seam allowance to sew the strips together. How do you not end up ruining your triangle shapes when you sew strips together?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Heather....I hope you find this. You will cut on the diagonal twice and end up with 4 HST's. When you piece them together it works perfectly to create nice sharp points. If you look at the 9th. picture carefully you can see that you have your 1/4 inch seam allowance and will have a nice triangle shape once sewn together.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh that is so beautiful! And a great idea. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So excited to use up my scrap HSTs!!! Just wondering how you make that "extra" white piece to go to the end? Thanks for any help!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've tried this method before and it works well, but word of warning...instead of the long, sewn edge being the bias edge, you now have two sides that are cut on the bias. Be careful with stretching.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Have tried to find an answer to the question posed by Krista S. What are suggestions for that extra white piece to go on the end of each short strip. I have not started the quilt top yet, but would hope to prevent any pitfalls such as this. I want to make a queen-sized quilt. Have not quilted in 30 years. Am so anxious to get back to sewing, knitting and crocheting after all these years of working away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is so great, and SO helpful! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you so much was a really great way to show how to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOVE this!! Do you have a picture of the finished quilt. I want to do this one, but have only sewn one quilt in my life. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I saw this on a recent sewing program on my local PBS channel and have been on fire to try this ever since! Thank you for demonstrating this pictorially. The sewing community as a whole are such sharing and giving people. It helps give our new sewers confidence and allows them to learn, grow and be fearless to create! Even this seasoned gilr is still learning new tricks. Thank you! Trish Smith, Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just found your tutorial. SEW easy yet perfect for using up scraps for triangles.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete