Followers

Thursday, November 20, 2014

The Weather Says Christmas!

Whew!  I simply cannot remember a November this cold and snowy!  Luckily, we have had mostly cold temps...I feel for the folks around Buffalo or in areas that are buried in snow!

But the cold and the snow certainly put me in a bit of a Christmas mood....

Last weekend I got together with a few friends to make Christmas stockings and do a little hand quilting and embroidery.  I began piecing together a clamshell project in cute kitschy fabrics.      


I appliqued these to a foundation fabric marked with a grid...I used Aurifil thread to applique.  It is amazing for applique!  and my very favorite Richard Hemming Milliner needles in size 11.  These needles are awesome!

 
Once my 'fabric' was complete, I went back and pick stitched with black Valdani thread!  I love the black stitching...
This will be my 'fabric' for the stocking.  I just haven't had the heart to cut it yet, but as soon as it is finished, I will share it here!  I just love those clamshells!

While I had the Christmas-making spirit, I put together a little zippy bag using the leftover pieces from my Sew Together bag!

  
I added cute little felt balls on the zipper pull...thanks Janelle :)

This is the perfect size to hold small scissors, a bit of thread and needles, or chapstick, tissues...even a cute little tin with some change!  thanks Clare :)

  
It feels good to get a little of Christmas sorted out!  I love Christmas sewing....I only wish it wasn't such a hectic time. More time for sewing :)

Stay warm!
mary

19 comments:

  1. Two super-cute projects!
    I have given up on hand-made Christmas presents this year. I have too many other UFOs (and a big wedding present) to finish. Next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Love a good clam...perfect to brighten christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The clamshells are fantastic! I think I might have to try some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary I love the clamshells! So sweet!
    I live in Buffalo and am grateful to be North of the city so we didn't get nearly as much as our neighbors to the South. Stay warm and cozy, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful loving the clam shells - from a new follower Kx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful loving the clam shells - from a new follower Kx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your kitschy clamshells with their black stitching. Hard to cut into it, but it will be even better and a cute and cherished stocking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. clam shells look great and yes the black stitching is so good on them, like the idea of felt balls on the zipper for the little sewing bag, seem to think I have some of those and now know how I could use them

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those clamshells! It will make an adorable Christmas stocking too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those clam shells look beautiful! Little bag is adorable. I am afraid of zippers! It's time to face that fear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. cute clam shells. Looks like my friend Rachaels - will make a cute stocking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would hate to cut into those clam shells, too! But what a keepsake stocking that will make!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just an adorable pouch! Do you have a pattern or tutorial? How did you attach the felt balls onto the zipper? Just love everything about this pouch!!☺️

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute! I just love the things you make...thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute, cute, cute! Can't wait to see the stocking.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So beautiful. I love the details of all the prints. I would have a hard time cutting into such a fun piece even if it was for something fun like a stocking.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Darling! I would have a hard time cutting into it too, but I'm sure you'll be putting all and any scraps to good use, like you did the last batch.

    I heard on the radio that people from Buffalo are tagging all their photos #snovember. No lie--it's been a wild beginning to winter! Stay warm, inside and out.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  18. You make the best stuff, Mary! I saw the finished stocking on IG...or was it facebook? Darling!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the zippy bag, the little felt balls are the perfect finishing touch! Bethx

    ReplyDelete