Followers

Monday, November 14, 2011

Details.....

When I was a teaching Elementary students, I would have a series of activities to accompany the books we were reading.  Activities that took the students back into the literature to re-examine the character, more fully understand the plot and focus on the details.

It was evident that a good author and a well written book would spawn a wealth of opportunities to explore the story further.


I have come to believe that a great fabric designer and a fantastic line of fabric can have the same effect.  Amy Butler is one of those designers.  She gives us fabrics that are complex and have depth.  Not just pretty fabrics, but fabrics with great dimension.

When I began my Lark quilt I knew it should reflect Amy's inspiration for the line, Maxime de la Falaise.  My initial design idea was strong angles along the lines of a Harlequin pattern.  A coexisting inspiration for this quilt was this very bohemian piece.  It seemed to fit the spirit of the fabric and story behind the fabric.


  
Lark is a series of large diamonds comprised of equilateral triangles.

  
The setting triangles are peaks of this rich Berry Couture.  It is hand quilted with perle cotton.  The center is quilted with diamonds to echo the diamonds in the quilt.  The setting triangles and the side {half diamonds} are quilted with a series of lines....pulling your eye downward to my favorite detail.


In the spirit of this bohemian quilt, I added small touches of fabric stuffed and pulled tight with perle cotton. 

They dance along the bottom and top edge....
I think this uniquely reflects the unfettered nature of Lark.

And the back is a plethora of Amy fabrics from my stash....

I must say, it has truly been a pleasure to develop this quilt and to be completely lost in the fabric.....thanks Amy!

       
Happy Monday!
mary :)

26 comments:

  1. ABSOLUTELY STUNNING! Really. I adore looking at this quilt and wish I could squish it! I love it all and those little details you've added are perfect. Honestly, I can't say enough good things - totally perfect and wonderful. A dream quilt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. utterly breathtaking Mary!!!
    maybe I can learn to love designers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always such a treat to visit your blog and see your creations : ) This is my kind of quilt and fabric....I too have a plethora of Amy's fabric from quite a few years ago. (I like saying plethora.... I imagine that will be a word I will have to use on my blog soon...funny, I am even inspired by words!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You created a masterpiece out of Lark Mary!! Love everything about it. Thank you for letting us in on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary this quilt is so beautiful!! The little dangles of fabric are the most wonderful touch! A bohemian beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Molly ... this is 100% inspiration and beauty and wonderment.

    Utterly divine. You are the bees knees ... and what a beautiful way to showcase Amy Butler. She should be very very happy to have you stitching her fabrics! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, the finishing touches are so wonderful Mary! A profusion of colour, texture and detail! I almost feel I can actually touch this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous quilt!! Love all of your handstitching too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. holy crap it is gorgeous mary! i agree with you. sometimes the fabric just takes you someplace you hadn't expected.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good grief, you just took that quilt up a few fantabulous notches with the addition of the delightful dangles! Fabulous fabric use and I love it when you share the whole thought process.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in love with those little fabric blue-bells! IN LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun post.......learning about your thought process for this beauty! Thanks for sharing, Mary. My LQS just got Lark in last week and I'm planning to get there this week to see it for myself and, most likely, bring some home!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on a beautiful finish! Love your added fabric pearls and the lively back,too! This is such a great design to showcase the Lark collection. (I would love to see it done in other fabric lines, as well...)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello! What a great enjoy to watch your amazing quilt! It's so beautiful, I love all the details, fabrics and your photos are wonderful!
    x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holy crap it is gorgeous mary also those finishing touches. A profusion of colour, texture and detail, Almost done excellent ordering, Sometime the fabric just takes time for finishing.
    Promosyon

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your artistic eye and ability astound me! Your quilt is truly a work of art. The world "beautiful" just doesn't seem sufficient in describing what you have done. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Amy Butler Fabrics and reallly love what you have created with them. Incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Mary! So lovely. The quilt and you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. This quilt is truly singing to me. Love it to pieces.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful hand quilting! Do you know where I might find a tutorial for the equilateral triangle pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Jean....if you look at my latest post I have explained how to make these triangles {strip piecing}. I use the Fons and Porter Equilateral triangle. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have some Bloomcraft 1979 Maxime De La Falaise fabric.

    ReplyDelete