Followers

Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Winter Skirt.....

I mentioned in my last post that I have been plugging away at samples for pre-Christmas classes....

I have completed one tree skirt, but wanted to add another with some different ideas....so folks coming into shoppe will {hopefully} be inspired.


When I think of Christmas, I remember a book my children loved when they were little....the book was The Mitten  by Jan Brett.  Jan Brett books are sweet stories with loads of illustration....bringing the reader back into the story over and over again.  Her illustrations are colorful and detailed.....and reminiscent of Scandinavia. 

So while I was making this tree skirt, The Mitten was playing in my head....


For this skirt I added rik-rak to the bottom and the center circle....and plenty of yo-yo's scattered throughout.....nothing screams fun like yo-yo's and rik-rak!!!

  
On the mittens I added lots of detail {like Jan does in her books :) } and did a little sketching with thread....
The quilting is just simple organic lines and the where the back meets, I added a vintage-like ribbon in red and white!!!

It is a hot one here today....I am tempted to wish for the cool weather that comes with tree skirts and mittens!!!
mary


9 comments:

  1. Nothing screams fun like yo-yos and rick rack. That made me burst out laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo-Yo's, Rick Rack and Christmas. My favorite things! This is so C U T E!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely precious--what a sweet tree skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely fresh looking tree skirt...I am sure it will be inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww, very cute! Yeah, I love ric rac and yo-yos too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is one fun wonderful tree skirt. It has the whimsy and the folk art and the charm of any of Jan Brett's fun books...
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so sweet! I remember reading Jan Brett books and still have a few of mine. Thanks for bringing that inspiration into this tree skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Love your tree skirts!! The only problem is where to put the presents because I wouldn't want anything covering up them up! I can just see the tree decorated in yoyo garlands and decorations of mittens and blue birds to match the skirt!

    ReplyDelete