Followers

Monday, August 30, 2010

Family

How lovely is a simply 9-patch block...this one was, purposely, done a little off center...
I simply fashioned a 9 -patch block and used a square ruler - placed at an angle - to recut and give this little ditty a bit of whimsy!

This windmill, also, got the same treatment...all liberated!  The old, old chair in the picture was made by hand by my grandfather...it is about 100 years old.  My grandfather was Scotch-Irish from Appalachia...I have a particular fondness for the Appalachian parts of our country and the culture.  We love old-timey music at our house...it blends the Irish and the American parts.  My grandfather's people settled in south-eastern Kentucky.  The chair is still in good shape, but I don't let anyone sit on it.  I love the patina....doesn't the weaving look like a quilt pattern?   I think so!

  This is a quilt from my family....I am not sure how old it is exactly, but it is rather tattered.  This section was replaced at some time...I love that it has this one very red block!
We have two big family events happening this weekend.  My sister's daughter is getting married and my husband's side of the family is having their annual reunion.  It is a big Irish shindig that lasts all weekend long!  It begins at the Irish Social Club - I guess they need the space for the Dugan, Murnane, King, and Murphy Clan! Yikes!  Then it continues as a smaller affair...just the Dugan's for the remainder of the weekend.  It should be fun!
Need to get busy on this house, though, we have g-ma spending the weekend!
Mary  

3 comments:

  1. I love your quilts! Glad to find you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Glad you found me, too! You have some amazing quilts on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the liberated approach! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete